AppMaker: App Development for iOS & Android
R1300 – R1400
2 days / 14 – 16 hours
6 – 9
App Layout Design
User Centered Design
App Coding & Logic
Mobile Apps are changing the way we live our lives. Who uses a map-book to find directions, a bank branch to make a deposit or the post office to post a letter to a friend? In this two day Think Camp, we dive deep to learn how we can harness the power of our iOS and Android Smartphones and custom build our own functional apps.
Thunkable is a fully-fledged, free to use, App Development platform. It supports the creation of both iOS and Android Apps that can ultimately be published on the Apple App Store and Google Play. Students begin this Camp with a series of simple exercises that help them master the fundamentals of the platform. Later we move onto exploring the Thunkable coding interface, allowing students to craft their very own apps.
This Think Camp is ideal for those who recognise the power of Mobile Applications and wish to start creating their very own apps. The skills learned on this camp are essential preparation for more advanced work with Google’s Android Studio or Apple’s Xcode10.
What students will learn
- Layout Design – The core concepts needed to accurately position buttons, sliders, pictures, check boxes and other components on a mobile screen.
- User Centered Design – The principles behind a successful user journey through the app.
- App Coding & Logic – The coding functionality that breathes life into our apps. What happens if a certain button is pressed? How can I make my app dial a certain number automatically if a text message is received? Can I make my app play a sound when I move to a certain location?
What Students Take Home
- A signed Think Camp certificate
- An understanding of App Development
- All elements and app files worked on
- The free version of Thunkable
- New approaches to problem solving
What Camp Includes
- Two passionate, professional instructors per camp
- Small class sizes (16 – 24 students)
- A dedicated computer per student
- Friendly, supportive environment
- Outdoor breaks and activities
- ESSENTIAL: Must have a personal Gmail account and password
- Optional: Own Smartphone with Thunkable App preloaded (instructions will be provided)
- No prior coding or app development experience is required
- Prior experience working with a computer is highly recommended
- Must be be in Grade 6 – 9 and should be able to cope at academic grade level
- Please bring own lunch and snacks
About the day
Drop Off: Rolling drop-off occurs from 7:30am to 8:00am. Students who arrive during this time can explore “unplugged” games and activities.
Day Start: At 8:00am sharp the day starts with a bang. Introductions are made and an overview of the day is given.
Core Learning Periods: Four core learning periods, each between one and two hours, make up the bulk of the day. Short whole group instruction periods are followed by carefully constructed challenges, projects and competitions – depending on the nature of the camp.
Breaks: Two outdoor break periods are held at 10:00am and 12:15pm.
Off screen learning: Screen-time is interspersed with short group activities which promote critical thinking and teamwork.
End of day 1: Students can be collected anytime between 3:00pm and 3:30pm. During this time, students also have the opportunity to show their parents what they have learnt during day 1. At 3:30pm the camp officially draws to a close and all students must be collected.
End of day 2: At 3:00pm all parents are encouraged to attend the certificate ceremony. The instructors give a short overview of the whole course and certificates are handed out. Thereafter, students have time to show their parents the projects they have created. At 3:30pm, the camp officially draws to a close and all students must be collected.