TeamCraft: Teamwork & Collaborative Design in Minecraft
R620 – R790
1 day / 7 – 8 hours
2 – 5
Agile Project Management
Great work happens in teams. From space exploration to software development, from the building of bridges to the founding of great companies – teamwork is essential. In this Think Camp, we will introduce students to modern approaches to collaboration within the creative world of Minecraft.
In TeamCraft, we refresh the basics of teamwork and learn some of the key principles underpinning Agile Project Development. Agile Development is a revolutionary framework used in industries as diverse as Software Development and Motor Vehicle Manufacture. Through a variety of exciting exercises and mini-competitions, students discover how communication, iteration and evaluation of their work can help them create superhero teams.
This course is perfect for team-playing students who would love to work with a group to create Minecraft builds grander than anything they could produce on their own.
What students will learn
- 3D Modeling – planning and then building 3-dimensional Minecraft structures according to a predetermined specification.
- Teamwork – fundamental skills vital to functioning in a group: clear calm communication, patience, leadership, responsibility
- Agile Project Development – the powerful framework at the core of modern project management techniques such as SCRUM and KABAN.
What Students Take Home
- A signed Think Camp certificate
- New tech skills
- New collaboration skills
- New approaches to problem solving
What Camp Includes
- Two passionate, professional instructors per camp
- Small class sizes (16 – 24 students)
- 1 computer per student
- Friendly, supportive environment
- Outdoor breaks and activities
- Prior Minecraft experience is required. (Those who are new to Minecraft are encouraged to enrol in our MakeCraft Think Camp)
- An ability to work patiently with a group is essential
- Must be be in Grade 2 – 5 and should be able to cope at academic grade level
- Please bring own lunch and snacks
About the day
Drop Off: Rolling drop-off occurs from 7:30am to 8:00am. Students who arrive during this time can explore “unplugged” games and activities.
Day Start: At 8:00am sharp the day starts with a bang. Introductions are made and an overview of the day is given.
Core Learning Periods: Four core learning periods, each between one and two hours, make up the bulk of the day. Short whole group instruction periods are followed by carefully constructed challenges, projects and competitions – depending on the nature of the camp.
Breaks: Two outdoor break periods are held at 10:00am and 12:15pm.
Off screen learning: Screen-time is interspersed with short group activities which promote critical thinking and teamwork.
End of the day: At 3:00pm all parents are encouraged to attend the certificate ceremony. The instructors give a short presentation of the day and certificates are handed out. Thereafter, students have time to show their parents the awesome work they have done. At 3:30pm, the camp officially draws to a close and all students must be collected.